Monday, December 21st, marks another seasonal turning point or passage. It is when winter officially begins, giving us the shortest amount of daylight, and the longest time in twilight.
For many, this is a time of quiet solitude; a time of reflection, connecting to hearth and home, and a renewal of love, compassion and heartfelt kindness. As you move through this passage of twilight and seasons, take the time to feel your breath, your heartbeat, and the season (or rhythm) of Mother Earth.
- Stop, sit and close your eyes. Feel the gentle rise and fall of your chest as you slowly and gently take a calming inhale. Use each exhale to let go of the tension in your body, starting with your eyes and followed by your mouth, jaw, neck, shoulders, elbows, chest, lower back, hips, knees, ankles and feet.
- Feel your breath as it travels in through your nose, then exits as you continue to relax. Do this for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly draw your attention to your heart center, feeling the constant, rhythmic beat. Allow yourself the privilege of feeling the sensation of each pulse, as it pushes blood throughout your body. You might begin at the center of the pulse and being aware of the sensations traveling in and around your heart center. Witness all that you sense in and around this center.
- Drawing your focus down towards your feet, stand with your feet about hip width apart, relax your knees and return your breath to a slow, gentle inhale and exhale. This is best done barefoot or in stocking feet, so you can feel all of your foot pressing against the floor or best yet, the ground.
- Lift your toes up, then plant them slowly back on the ground, spreading them wide. Feeling anchored, close your eyes and draw in a long, slow inhale. Imagine drawing in the breath from your nose and moving it all the way down to your heart. On the exhale, move the breath from your heart all the way through your body, down your legs and out the bottoms of your feet. Imagine your breath coming in through your nose and exiting out through your feet. Using long, slow breaths, continue breathing in this way until you have completed 10 full inhalations and exhalations.
- With your eyes still closed, return to your normal breath. Draw your focus down to the bottom of your feet. Notice any shift, vibration or sensation beneath your feet. Relax into your feet, allowing yourself to connect on a deep level with Mother Earth, feeling her stillness and oneness with the Universe, with All.
As you move through this passage of seasons, carry with you the deep profound stillness and oneness that permeates Mother Earth, the Universe, All. When you feel yourself being pulled away from this place of peace and contentment, remember your breath, your heart and your connection.